Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dog ate apricot...?

Ok I know apricots are poisonous to dogs, and have already called the vet and they said to bring her in tommorow. I want to know how fast the symptoms arise from eating an apricot. She actually I think swallowed it with the pit. Right now she seems fine...but just to make sure ill be going to the vet tom

Dog ate apricot...?
According to Dr. Dawn Ruben:

Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums. Ingestion of large amounts of stems, seeds and leaves of these fruits can be toxic. They contain a cyanide type compound and signs of toxicity include apprehension, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation and shock.

However, I'm guessing your dog ate the fruit itself. If the vet didn't tell you to come directly to his office, I'd assume it's oing to be okay until tomorrow. However you might want to pay extra attention to the dog to see early symptoms that could turn into something bigger. If you do witness any bad symptoms, either take your dog into the urgent care vet immediately or call.

When my dog eats apricots, the vet has consitantly told me not to worry about it, unless she swallows the pits. She hasn't shown any ill effects. (Tree drops fruit in the yard every summer.)
Reply:According to the K9 Kitchen, apricots are ok.
Reply:Depends on the size of your dog if the dog is real small it will probably vomit, if larger than maybe it will be ok. Alot of things dogs are not suppose to eat htey have to eat alot of before the toxins take effect. Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment